Monday, January 24, 2011

Birchermuesli

Birchermuesli, which is a Swiss breakfast with raw oatmeal and fruit, has to be one of my favorites. I used to work beside a place that had it for takeout in the mornings, and I used to buy it several times a week. What a waste of money when it's so easy to make at home. This is a super healthy meal or snack--in fact it was originally devised by a Swiss Doctor as part of his recommended wellness regime. The possibilities for variations are endless. My favorite is basic like this but you can always add dried fruits, nuts, substitute pear for the apple or add spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. Enjoy! (Because of honey, this is suitable for anyone over age 1, you could make it using another sweetener, but it won't taste quite like Birchermuesli).


















Birchermuesli

- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- 1 apple, skin on, grated or minced
- 2/3 cup blueberries, fresh or thawed frozen
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 3 tbsp honey, or to taste

Mix the oats with the water and allow to sit for at least 12 hours in the refrigerator (please note that you can't skip this step). 

Just before serving, add apple, bluberries, yogurt, and honey. Mix well and serve. 


* makes 3 adult-sized servings


* can be refrigerated after mixing but it's best if it's eaten the same day (I sometimes will eat the leftovers as a before bed snack).

3 comments:

  1. Just read this delicious idea, got up right away and now, some rolled oats are soaking as I write this. Looking forward for tomorrow's breakfast! Thanks Michelle, again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great Lu! I actually prefer mine with thawed frozen blueberries, but I had fresh on hand so that's what the picture is of. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I didn't add any blueberry at all, just the apple, honey and some fig and dates greek yogurt. I must say it was a very refreshing meal that will also be perfect in summer time.
    Now, I can't wait to pop a banana in the oven!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...